
I'm almost finished reading this book. It's really been a great read...quite enlightening about a man's heart.
Here's a description from Eldredge's website....
"There is something fierce, passionate, and wild in the heart of every man. That is how he bears the image of God. And the reason most men "live lives of quiet desperation" (Thoreau) is because men have been told that the reason God put them on earth is to be a good boy. To be nice. But every man longs for a battle to fight, an adventure to live, and a beauty to rescue."
The book talks about how God designed little boys and men to be wild at heart and how they lose that in our flawed world. I haven't quite gotten there yet, but I hope the end talks about how to get it back!
In the meantime, there were a few sentences from the beginning that I was thinking about last night and this morning as I thought about my guys.
From the book...Eldredge is talking about one of the desires of a man's heart is an adventure to live.
"The recipe for fun is pretty simple raising boys: Add to any activity an element of danger, stir in a little exploration, add a dash of destruction, and you've got yourself a winner."
And then this....where he talks about little boys and little girls.
"I've noticed that so often our word to boys is don't. Don't climb on that, don't break anything, don't be so aggressive, don't be so noisy, don't be so messy, don't take such crazy risks. But God's design -- which he placed in boys as the picture of himself -- is a resounding yes. Be fierce, be wild, be passionate."
And this....from the section talking about mothers and sons.
"...and there comes a time for the shift when he (the son) begins to seek out his father's affection and attention. It is part of Eve's sorrow, this letting go, this being replaced. Few mothers do it willingly; very few do it well. ....but he turns to Dad for adventure, for the chance to test his strength, and most of all, to get the answer to his question (you'll have to read the book to find out what the question is)."
Dad encourages adventure (by God's design) and Mom's reaction to almost everything is a "safe" one (such a natural response).
It's just got me thinking a lot...about our move...our new adventure. I pray I let go well. I SO greatly desire for them to be all God has designed them to be. I hope I can let them be adventurous in a new land that holds many challenges. But I have a LONG way to go!!!!
Small wild and crazy case in point...and one of the other (less spiritual) reasons I was thinking on this today.....
What does Rick do yesterday morning and again last night in anticipation of sub-zero temps? Goes outside at several intervals to spray the asphalt down with water. Why? Because it will freeze. What was he thinking? The boys will have FUN slipping and sliding!
My reaction when I got home last night? NO! You did WHAT??? That's all we need....a few busted heads to land us in the ER!
Did they have a blast....full of danger and lots of potential destruction? Absolutely. And without any busted heads.
Did I let go well? I did okay this time.
But you guys keep praying for me.
3 comments:
Absolutely.
There is another book called Way of the Wild Heart that talks about the "hows" as well. My campus minister recommended it, but I've yet to pick it up.
Good words Jeanne. I think I need to read that book--i think Scotty has already. We were just talking about letting go today--as parents in general! Hard stuff! We're praying for you guys!
OMGoooodness! No WONDER he was laughing tonight at Steve & Kevin's adventures! For the love! I think I need to read that book too. That will be on the list for Barb to bring to me! :)
Post a Comment