Thursday, April 19, 2012

Surgical Reminder


About a month ago I had an acute gall bladder attack. It was pretty much one of the most painful things I've experienced to date. I was in the ER all evening and they wanted to do surgery while I was there. But we were leaving for Georgia where our granddaughter was to be born the next day. We had already missed the birth of our first grandchild while living in Africa. It didn't matter how much pain I was in, we weren't missing this one if we could help it. So we got my pain pills filled and off we went. When we got home, I went to the surgeon and scheduled the "elective" procedure. I think it's funny to call it that. No one "elects" to have their gall bladder removed unless the gall bladder makes sure to tell you it doesn't like you anymore. But whatever.

Anyway, I had the offensive thing removed last week. And as we were driving to the hospital that morning I was ruminating over the fact that I had to leave everything at home. You know, they have this pesky rule when you go in for surgery that you can't take anything with you...can't wear jewelry or watches or nail polish. It was pesky because I never ever take off my wedding rings and only take my watch off when in the shower. But then it's the first thing that goes back on after my shower. I'm pretty attached to my watch. I loathe not being able to tell the time at any given moment of the day. But rules being what they are, I obeyed and left it all behind.

Well, except my phone. I had that in my lap all the way to the last minute when they separated me from my husband. Then I reluctantly gave it to him with instructions that I would want it back as soon as I woke up. It has a clock on it. Plus I could text the family how well I was doing later.

And as we drove I was looking at my phone and talking to the Lord about the anxiousness I was feeling over being put to sleep. And I had the thought how dumb it was that I was so worried about holding on to that phone. It mattered not one iota whether I knew the time or not that day. But I was holding on to it anyway. And then these verses came to mind.

Matthew 6:19-20

I won't be taking my phone with me to heaven and I sure won't care what time it is. But there are treasures I am storing up for heaven. Ones far more precious than any worldly belonging I will ever have. It was a sweet reminder for me that morning in so many ways.

So my questions for you to mull over....

What are you holding onto today? And what treasures are you storing up for heaven?

Be intentional. Be focused. Time is short.

PS - Once I got the happy juice and entered la-la land and then later when I was in pain and nausea land, I forgot all about the time and the phone. That stuff really didn't matter at all.

No comments: