Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Refreshed

Last week I was blessed to attend a homeschool conference in Kenya. It was a time of much needed fun and refreshment. I received affirmation about the things I was doing right that I didn't even know where the right thing. I was challenged to stretch my faith just a little more. I shared my struggles and received encouragement as others shared their struggles with me.

I learned I really do like to homeschool our boys. It is a high calling. Though not the ministry I had envisioned for myself before coming to the field, it is one more than worthy of my time and talents. I received numerous resources to help in the task. I learned so many new things that I can't wait to implement in our family and school time.

When every penny is scrutinized as we attempt to be the best stewards we can of what God has given us in these difficult economic times, we are ever grateful to have advocates who understand the importance of good stewardship of people resources. They worked long and hard to make sure we had this opportunity.

I learned a little bit of Swahili which was fun. And I had a ton of fun both at the conference and in the free time outside of meetings. But I was reminded again that "fun" still lacks something when your family isn't there to enjoy it with you.

Here are a few....or fifty-something....pictures of my adventures.

We arrived in Nairobi at 5am after a long night in the air with no sleep. We were supposed to have rooms ready for us to get settled and take a nap, but there was some confusion and our rooms weren't going to be ready until 4pm. "Ouch" was our first thought as we were all fighting heavy eyelids. But a few colleagues who arrived a couple of days earlier than us had researched and made plans for the day and they were more than gracious to make a few adjustments so that we could tag along. Had it not been for these turn of events, I would've missed these visits to the elephant orphanage and the Nairobi National Park.

All of the elephants we saw at the orphanage were under two years old. It is a unique center that works hard to save these orphans and prepare them for return to the wild...which can take as long as 10 years for one elephant.

These babies are just like our babies. They love dirt!



And they love water and their families!!!!



Nairobi National Park is located just about 15 minutes from downtown city center. It was established around 1946 as the first national park in Kenya and is a unique ecosystem & preserved area of savannah famous for being the only reserve in the world bordering a capital city.

There were giraffes and zebras in abundance. Good thing they are two of my favorite. There were also a ton of baboons and antelope.












We were not able to find any of the big cats that inhabit this park. Our guides rode around for more than two hours looking, but we had waited to come later in the afternoon so that we could see the elephants (which is only possible from 11am to noon). So the heat of the day had the lions and leopards hiding out under a shade tree somewhere.

But what we did find way off in the distance was the critically endangered and very elusive black rhino. Unlike their more social white rhino cousins, the black rhino is a very solitary animal. Just about the time we saw him, he also spotted us and made a beeline in the opposite direction. I had my zoom as far out as it would go. I was pleased with the shots that I was able to get.







We were able to see just a glimpse of God's amazing artwork called The Great Rift Valley. It was a spectacular sight....a geographical and geological feature running north to south for around 4,000 miles, from northern Syria to central Mozambique in East Africa. Astronauts say it is the most significant physical detail on the planet that is visible from space. The Rift is known for its spectacular scenery and abundant, sometimes unique, wildlife.....a few of which we were fortunate to get a quick snapshot of from our lookout point.







Brackenhurst Conference Center is where most of my week was spent. For those of us from West Africa where the Harmattan winds have started blowing in from the Sahara and brown dust covers e.v.e.r.y.t.h.i.n.g., pulling into that welcome area was a feast for the eyes and weary soul.

There is a reason green is my favorite color. It radiates life and happiness. There were the most amazing flower gardens in every direction. Some of us took our shoes off and just walked and walked in the lush, green grass. What a blessing grass is to the toes and dry, cracked feet!!!!






One of the things Kenya is known for is tea. We were pretty high up in the mountains and there were tea plantations everywhere you looked. Here is a shot of me in the middle of one. And, yes, it was cold enough for a long-sleeved shirt and scarf. It was heavenly weather!!!



"Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for he who promised is faithful. And let us consider how to stir up one another to love and good works, not neglecting to meet together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another, and all the more as you see the Day drawing near."
Hebrews 10:23-25


I was reminded this week of these verses in Hebrews. Just as Christians of that day were admonished, we, too, now have the same duties to perform, and the same trials to meet, and should strengthen each other in our trials and encourage each other in our work.

Perhaps one of the best parts of the whole week was the fellowship with other women and moms of similar hearts...sweet sisters in Christ whom I now call friends. I was, indeed, strengthened and invigorated by waiting together on the Lord this week with my new friends.




He who has called me remains faithful to give just what I need at just the moment it is needed. So thankful for God's love and provision in all areas of my life.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much for sharing your adventure and pictures and thoughts. Glad God was able to refresh you and show you how well you are really doing. I love you tons!!!!! Praying with you more!

Tiffany said...

Thanks for sharing all those pics! OH! They were amazing! I just love the wild! Especially the wild in Africa! AWESOME!