Friday, August 22, 2008

On To the High Places

Habukkuk 3:19 has been one of my favorite verses for a while now. I like it so much, it's in my header! A few years ago, a friend of mine introduced me to a book called "Hinds' Feet on High Places". I've just finished reading it again. It's an allegory about Much-Afraid leaving the Valley of Fear that she's known her whole life and embarking on a journey up a rocky mountainside, where she must develop "hinds' feet" to reach the "high places" and become a new creation. It talks about the deepest longings and fears of our hearts as we follow after God -- following Him when we can't see ahead, when we feel like we're moving in circles, when we feel as if He's not taking us where we want to go, and how following Him can mean laying down the deepest desires of our heart just because He asks us to, and we know Him to be good and loving and kind. Much-Afraid follows God to a deeper place of dependence on Him. Accompanied by God-chosen companions, Sorrow and Suffering, she is encouraged by Him along the way, and He comes to her aid whenever she calls on Him. In the introduction, the author says, "The High Places and the hinds' feet do not refer to heavenly places, but are meant to be the glorious experience of God's children here and now -- if they will follow the path he chooses for them." The only way we can reach those places are by continually laying down our will and accepting His. Every acceptance of His will is an altar of sacrifice that helps us to progress and mature in our walk with Him.

If you have never heard of it, I highly recommend it. (A note...this book was written in 1955. My research of the author indicates a rather disturbing downward turn in sound biblical doctrine in her later works.) So while I do not recommend any other books by this author, I do love this one!

And the reason I have been thinking of Much-Afraid so often is because I am her in many ways these days.

BUT....

We are moving on in our journey to the high places! IT'S OFFICIAL! We received our job offer TODAY! WOOOHOOOOO!!!!!! West Africa....here we come!

5 comments:

Diana said...

WoW, it seems so surreal to read those words. I am excited to see the journey God takes your family on.
love you
Diana

Becca said...

Such GREAT news!! So happy for you!!

Tina said...

WHOO HOO for YOU!!!!!!!!!!

SO happy to see with you all that GOD is preparing in his great timing.. which is never late (but rarely early!)

Kelly said...

That is wonderful to hear. I know you are ready, and I can't wait to see all the cool things God has in store for you.

Tiffany said...

I know this is totally late and I already knew the news but I had to proclaim publicly that I am SOOOOO STINKIN EXCITED!!!!!!!!!!!!

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!