Have you made any resolutions for your new year? I don't usually bother with new year resolutions. But this year, I do have one. I am purposing to spend consistent quiet time with my sweet Lord each day. I probably should be ashamed to admit that my quiet time has been nothing short of hit and miss in the past. About six months ago, though, that began to change. I can't pinpoint one specific reason that it changed, but it did. I anticipate my time with Him these days. I look forward to it. I can feel Him working in me as I spend time with Him. I love how that feels. It's still been a wee bit hit or miss since then....but I'm praying to rectify that in this coming year. So there are a few things I'm doing that I thought I might share with you....maybe to encourage you.
My dear friend Gwen recently gave me a devo book called Jesus Calling. Each day's reading is super short.....but packed plum full of good stuff...for the entire year! I can't hardly wait to read it each day. And I find myself wanting to read ahead a few days. I'm really trying to hold myself back in that regard and focus on what the day's reading is and what God wants to tell me through that. And it's written in the first person....like Jesus is talking to you. It's unlike any devotional I've ever read. I'm ABSOLUTELY loving it! Gwen said it would change my life. She was right....it is. This is the book I have been carrying with me everywhere I go......along with my little bible....because I was finding myself getting very frustrated at not having my bible in the car when I wanted to look up a scripture mentioned in the devo.
Another year-long devotional I have recently been reading is Voices of the Faithful. Each day's devotion is written by a different missionary serving around the world. I ordered this one from the IMB resource website....but I found out later that you can find a copy at any bookstore. I keep this book in my office. When I need that mid-day break, I've been pulling it out to read and reflect and refocus.
And then I had Rick take me to the bookstore on New Year's Eve so I could buy a chronological bible to start out my new year. If I stay on track, I will have read the entire bible by the end of this year. I've never done that before and am actually quite excited at the possibility! I'm amazed at the things I'm learning so far out of Genesis 1-4. I think we (meaning me) take for granted things I thought I knew. But I've had a few surprises in Genesis already this week. Maybe I'll share those at another time if you won't think I'm too lame.....because probably every other person reading this already knows who named all the living creatures.
So there you have it! I realize it's only Day 3 of 2008, but I'm doing well so far and am really, really having fun spending this time with God.
I know this post has already gotten too lengthy, but I should tell you quickly about the title of this post. Ling xiu is Mandarin Chinese and refers to a Christian's daily devotion time. Ling means "spirit" or "soul" and xiu means "to repair".
Devotional = spirit repair.......repairing the soul by reading God's Word and communing with Him. How fitting for Day One! This was part of the January 1st reading from Voices of the Faithful....written by a worker in China.
I challenge you to join me and spend more time with the Lover of our souls this year!
1 comment:
Thanks for the challange. Lets pray for each other, and hold each other accountable.
Post a Comment