Hubby and I are leaving for Africa this week. I can't begin to explain the emotions. Not fear or worry or anxiety. But excitement and peace. I really don't think I've done anything...EVER....where I could say with absolute certainty that I knew this was where God wanted me. And don't think that I say that lightly or easily. I've done my share of wrestling with God about this for quite a while.
About six months ago, I was telling God absolutely no way....this couldn't be what He meant....not Africa. But there's a process....His plan...His timing.
God called my best friend and her family to South Asia about 18 months ago. They left us this week for their full-time adventure with God. And I already miss her more than I can say. I remember a time just a short couple of years ago where missions was so far from their thoughts. And then look what God did.
So when my heart started burning about Africa, all I could think of was God's going to ask me to move to Africa. And I was SCARED TO DEATH!! So I dug in my heels and the wrestling began. (Side note: it's really hard to wrestle with God....He's bigger than you....and He'll win...one way or another.) I don't want to move to Africa. But I've come to a place through the wrestling where I just don't want to be afraid of what He MIGHT ask me do. Right now, He wants me on this trip. And that is something that I can and want to do. I'm so sure of it because God has been so faithful to give me all of these little puzzle pieces that have fit so perfectly together....kind of like my own little burning bush. There's just no way to deny Him on this. I still don't want to move to Africa...and God knows my heart full well. But, boy, is there an indescribable peace about being obedient in the thing I know He's calling us to at this exact moment.
There are many sacrifices required for a trip like this. I'll be having to take quite a few days of time off work without pay. Our boys will be without both of us for 10 days. We've never both been away from them together for that long. Our parents are sacrificing time and energy and lots of extra love (well, that part probably isn't such a big sacrifice) to take care of them while we are gone.
But there are so many wonderful things to be thankful for, as well. A job that will allow us to be gone this long....grandparents who live close and are so willing to give our boys their time and attention, even in the midst of their own worry for us...beautiful friends who love us enough to pray....a church so committed to the Great Commission.
We are humbled beyonds words that God would call us to this. I can't wait to share with you all of the wonderful things that I know God is going to do. Won't you please join our adventure through prayer?????
8 comments:
Indeed!! Joining you in prayer, and honored to do so! God is busy growing in Steve and me a heart for missions at this very moment, too. Not for a specific region...so I feel no tug to go. But rather, through prayer, to support consistently those who have been called to go. I'm excited for you and can't wait to hear what God's up to in Africa...and in your own hearts as you follow Him to the ends of the earth!!
I can echo most every word you have typed. I'm so excited about our trip that I almost can't wait--except that I'm not packed and neither are the boys!! I'm also excited to have this experience with others who have such an excitement too!!
I am so proud of you. I have such a long ways to go spiritually and when I am in the presence of people like yourself who so willingly answer God's call when it isn't excactly what you would have planned for yourself it makes me want to get to that point quickly. I will be praying for you while you are gone. I will be praying for your boys and that they do ok during this seperation. What a wonderful lesson you are teaching your children. How many kids can say thier parents went to help God work in Africa. You are amazing and I am blesse to know you.
Lisa Sallee
Kristie,
I'm so glad to hear God is growing in you a heart for missions. We are missionaries even when we stay at home. And you will be as much in Africa through prayer as I will be in presence. Thank you. Love you!
Becca,
So excited to share this with you! And I'm not packed either....not the first thing!
Lisa,
Thank you for your sweet words. I have not been so willing though. But God knows our hearts. The thing I'm realizing lately is that my fear of not being in His will is growing bigger than my fears of anything else. I don't want my fear of what He might ask me to do to keep me from doing anything at all. And I'm trying to remember exactly the thing that Tina taught this weekend....the strand test....just take the next step forward....don't get caught up in worrying about 10 steps down the path. Can I be obedient in the next thing? He will use that to build up in me...and you...the tools we need for the steps ahead. One illuminated step at a time....
you know i can not wait to hear all about what God does in Africa with you there ... I will be praying ... You are a strong and faithful woman and I am just so excited to call you friend ...
it is amazing what God reveals to us when we stop wrestling with Him .. I am with you on being right where God wants you .. I have never felt more in the center of His will than I do right now as I prepare for my trip to China ...
it is good to see excitement in your words!!! I don't know what part of Africa you are going to but my dad went there years ago and said it really was an amzingly beautiful place. He didn't want to live there however it wasn't a bad place to visit...his words not mine
Have a wonderful trip and know that being willing is the biggest part of the battle with God. Be willing and the rest will happen and fall into place just like the pieces in a puzzle that you mentioned!
Have a safe journey
Joining you through much prayer and KNOWING that GOD will complete what he began in you...
Can't wait to hear how he has manifested more truth when you see in the flesh what you were drawn to in the spirit!
Jeanne,
Count on my prayer for all aspects of your mission. Africa, and the homefront :-). Can't wait to see God glorified through this work.
:-)
Kelly Watson
Post a Comment