We took a field trip yesterday up to our favorite mountain top and the cashew orchard that is on the way.
Here is a view from the top overlooking our city. See that heavy "smog" blanket? That's the sand and dirt blowing in from the Sahara desert during this dry season. It's called Harmattan. And all that dirt and sand that swirls around up there in our air.....it comes down.....everywhere. Our floors stay covered in dust and dirt. It gets mopped and it's just as heavy the next day. We miss the rain!
We have cashew trees everywhere here. We always look for the cashew fruit, but can never see them. We just figured that people pick them from the trees as fast as the tree produces it. But coming down from the mountain yesterday, we saw a ton of nuts and fruit on the trees, so we had to stop and check it out!
Did you know??
The cashew nut is native to Brazil. The Portuguese took the cashew plant to Goa, India, between the years of 1560 and 1565. From there it spread throughout Southeast Asia and eventually Africa.
We don't know the name of this tree, but those red balls hanging down are fruit of some sort. We may have to do some internet research and see what we can find out about it. Rick pulled the truck up under one of the trees and the boys climbed up top so they could reach the fruit balls. They brought a few home with them. But Daisy found them on the porch this morning and ate them.
During this time of the year when things are dead and dry, people start fires to burn off the dead and prepare the ground for next season's planting. This mango tree fell victim to the fire that surrounded it. I thought it was a cool picture.
On Thursday afternoons, a group of women usually get together for some MOPs fellowship. I don't usually go because 1) I don't have any preschoolers and 2) I have to give myself limits to help keep balance and my sanity. I choose to spend my "me" time going to the ladies' prayer group that meets on Wednesdays.
Anyways, the lady that usually hosts the MOPs had a sickly little yesterday, so I offered to have the ladies hang out here instead. Luke had the kids over in a dirt pile at the side of the house playing for the longest time. He finally called us over to see what they had been doing.
The little ones ranged in age from 1-5. They were all taking turns telling the story of Jesus's death on the cross and burial in the tomb as they played. Can you see the tombstone?
As we were working this morning in the school room, Luke looked out the window at the grave and said to Matthew, "The tombstone can't be rolled away until Sunday." It reminded me that I hadn't yet taken a picture. So I grabbed my camera and went out to get a few shots. I came back in and told Luke that it looked like the inside of his tomb had caved in. He ran out to look. As he was moving the tombstone, he said, "Well, I guess Jesus decided to rise early." The only thing left was the banana leaf that he had been rolled up in.
"And they found the stone rolled away from the tomb, but when they went in they did not find the body of the Lord Jesus." Luke 24:2-3


1 comment:
Very Precious! What a great illustration. I love you guys!
Post a Comment