As I was cleaning today, I chuckled at all the things we recycle.....mostly out of necessity. But it's still funny. Thought I would share a few.
Water is recycled.
We are in the middle of our dry season here. The last rain we saw was around the first of November. Wells are already starting to dry up, so we conserve every drop of water we can.
There is a small hole in our water tower. This bucket catches that water.
This spicket from the tower leaks and that big bucket catches that water.
And today, as we were washing clothes, Rick moved our rain barrel over to catch water that drains from the washing machine. All of the water collected is used to water plants or wash the truck or Daisy, or splash on the solar panels and top of the house to cool them down...which in turn cools the inside of the house down.
Bottle caps are recycled.
We brought this cloth checkerboard with us to the field, but we didn't have game pieces to play with. Bottle caps work perfectly!
Plastic ziploc baggies are recycled.
We can't get freezer bags here....at least not the good ziploc kind. So almost all baggies are washed and dried for reuse....except baggies that have had raw meat in them. I have a hard time thinking about recycling those. But I try to use local plastic bags to freeze meat in anyway, so not many get thrown away because of that. After washing, the wall behind the sink is the perfect place to hang them for drying.
Plastic and glass jars are recycled.
Mayo, salsa, peanut butter, tomato sauce, jelly....all kinds and all sizes....reused for storage containers. I give a lot of these away to friends and neighbors, too. They love getting containers.
We also save all metal cans....vegetable cans and soda cans. Soda cans are especially popular with the little boys who make metal toys with them. Rick just gave a sackful away to a little boy last week. Rick said you would have thought he won the lottery the way he smiled! We take so much for granted, don't we?
So there you go! Just a few of the ways we recycle.
2 comments:
ha ha that is hilarious! We could all benefit from your recycling tips. Love you tons!
Ok.....I didn't realize you kept up with your blog so much until you told me so in the email. From now on I'm tuned in. I love this blurb about recycling. I really like the photo of the bottle caps.
Good job conserving and making the most of what you're given.
Post a Comment