Thursday, November 5, 2009

A Thankful Heart is Full of Laughter...Day 5

God has made laughter for me; everyone who hears will laugh over me.
Genesis 21:6


Yes...they will laugh over me, at me and with me.

I spent some time this afternoon visiting with my friend in her courtyard. I told her last week that I just wanted to come, sit and listen to what goes on at her house. I don't have a good ear for Maninka yet, and honestly, I think it's really hard to get an ear. So this was to be a language learning exercise. I really didn't want to talk. And she understood that. But she wasn't the problem. All the other men and women in the courtyard found me being there a novelty (surprise, surprise) and so THEY wanted to talk to me. And they wanted me to respond. Which I did sometimes, but most times, couldn't.

You know the deer-in-the-headlights look?

Yeah, well, they thought that was SO FUNNY! So they laughed. A lot. And I laughed alot, too.

And so today, I'm thankful that the Lord has made laughter for me. I would've been in a world of hurt this afternoon without it.

Laugh at yourself first before anyone else can.
~Elsa Maxwell

We have to laugh. Because laughter, we already know, is the first evidence of freedom.
~Rosario Castellanos

Laughter is the shortest distance between two people.
~Victor Borge

Joyfulness keeps the heart and face young. A good laugh makes us better friends with ourselves and everybody around us.
~Orison Swett Marden

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

loving all your thankfuls but especially this one. I am thankful for you and your friendship. i miss talking to you terribly but i know we will get an opportunity soon. LLLOOVVVEE YYAA!, Barb