Several months ago, I put a ticker up on my blog counting down to "the BIG surprise". Many of you know by now what that was and have already read Tiffany's MOST excellent blog post about the whole thing. But...there are many friends and family of this blog that still have no clue...so enjoy our story!
It is a tale of three best buddies...two here in the good ole' USA and one tucked away in the hustle and bustle of South Asia. Vicki found out in June that the cancer had returned. I was in West Africa at the time and Tiffany has been in South Asia for a year now. We both felt pretty helpless then...and even now at times. It was especially hard for Tiff. She just wanted to hold Vic and tell her how much she loves her. Soooo.....she devised a plan. It was supposed to be a surprise for both Vicki and me. But I found out by accident in July, so Tiffany and I spent several months dreaming and planning and waiting and planning....and waiting. The waiting seemed unbearable at times because we were SO very excited. The plan was that Tiff was coming in the Monday before the Friday that a team from our church was to leave and go to S. Asia. Tiff would then fly back with the team.
The problem was....that was the week our kids had fall break here. So months ahead of time, I tested the waters and asked Vicki if they had any plans for fall break. Of course they did...tentatively anyway.
Something had to be done. And this is where the deception begins.
We've already asked the Lord for forgiveness....all of us...just in case you are wondering.
We figured the only way we could stop them from going anywhere was to bring Vicki's husband Scott in on the surprise. Problem...I didn't have Scott's cell number and every time I called their house, Vicki answered the phone. I was running out of reasons to give her that I kept calling every 5 minutes. This is where our friend Diana enters the story. Bless her heart! She had seen the ticker on my blog and called me....just at the moment I was at my wits end trying to get Scott's number....to find out what the big surprise was. I caved. I told her IF she could get me Scott's cell number without raising red flags in Vic's suspicious little mind, then I would be obliged to let her in on the secret. She hesitated not. Within minutes, she had called me back with the number. And Vicki suspected not.
So we were all set! Scott was in with us and nothing could deter the plan!
Well...we thought.
The time flew quickly by and before we knew it, we were within a week of hugging each other.
The phone rang.....six days before the big surprise.
It was Scott. We have a problem, he says.
Apparently, Vicki's extremely generous boss...and very good friend...had just called Vicki and offered to take her and the WHOLE family with his family on a Caribbean cruise...the NEXT week....during fall break.
Okay, well, I'll just try to shorten an otherwise very long post and tell you that we could just NOT allow that to happen. It wasn't that we couldn't tell her why....we just didn't want to. At that point, we were just so determined to surprise her.
NO ONE EVER SURPRISES HER!
You see, she just can't leave well enough alone...and she DOES NOT like surprises. But what she does not like did not matter....we were determined. And so, over the course of the next several days, several alternate plans were devised...and Diana and I almost had to take medicine for ulcers.
But with the help of Scott, Diana, Vicki's mom Carol, and a generous benefactor, the MOST PERFECT SURPRISE in the history of surprises was pulled off. Vicki never knew what hit her...and I think we are all still reeling from the memory of it all. Not only did we manage to surprise Vicki with Tiffany's presence, we also...at the VERY last minute...were able to get away from the pull of everyday life, family and responsibilities and spend three beautiful days and nights...just the three of us....eating, shopping, watching chick flicks, and talking non-stop. All the things girlfriends love to do!
That week ranked up towards the top of best weeks ever for me! God has been so good to bless me with such amazing friends. So good.
Girls, I love you more than words can say. You each inspire and challenge me. I love so many things about each of you and our friendship. I'm quite sure I don't deserve you....but that's the complete beauty of our sweet God...He lavishes us with things...and people...we don't deserve. And, oh my, how thankful I am that He loves us that much! May we bring Him Glory as we love each other for years to come!
Here are a few pictures of that wonderful week! There are SO many more that I wanted to share, but my computer has really been fussy about allowing me to upload on here. I was determined not to let that keep me from publishing this post!
This is me and Vicki arriving at the condo where Diana was "meeting" us for our girlfriend getaway. At this point, Vicki has no idea that Tiffany is waiting right around the corner.
This one is priceless! This is the exact moment she saw Tiffany standing in the dining area. Diana...you did a most amazing job catching that moment perfectly! Thank you for being so willing to be anywhere at any time and do anything to help make this happen!
The hugging and crying didn't stop for the next four days!
4 comments:
Love it! So glad you girls got to "get away from it all." I've learned in this last two months that creating memories with those you love is what sticks with you when they're gone...Not that Vickie's going anywhere! :)
You're absolutely right! Create the memories with those you love! Though Vicki isn't headed anywhere....I am. And with Tiff so far away, too, and none of us sure when we'll all three be together again...that week was even more special to us!
So fun! And I love you too. And I'm SO glad we were able to see each other! And God IS so good!
What a sweet post. You guys deserved that time more than anyone I know.
Thanks for putting the disclaimer about us asking God for forgiveness. Hopefully God put back my Ruby from falling out because of the lies I told. :)
Post a Comment