The Lord had said to Abram, "Leave your country, your people and your father's household and go to the land I will show you. I will make you into a great nation and I will bless you; I will make your name great, and you will be a blessing. I will bless those who bless you, and whoever curses you I will curse; and all peoples on earth will be blessed through you." So Abram left, as the Lord had told him. Genesis 12:1-4a
Abram was 75 years old when God called him. He had already been around on this earth for a really long time. I wonder what was going through his mind as he packed his house and prepared his family for a big move? Did he even realize how big a move it was really going to be? Was he sad? Was he happy? Could he have been both?How much time did he have to prepare? God called...two verses later Abram left.
I felt God calling over a year and a half ago. And I didn't say okay 2 verses later. I wrestled. I cried. I sat in fear....wallowed in that one, actually. Tried to rationalize with Him. Wanted to bargain with Him. Stuck my head in the proverbial sand for many months. So NOT worthy of ANY calling...definately not like Abraham!
I'm so glad God is patient with his children...with me. There was such a sense of peace once I got to that place of surrender. So again, can you be happy and sad at the same time? Because even though most of my days are focused and dreaming with much excitement about what's to come, I'm still finding some hard days scattered about. I'm still fighting off fear...of the unknown...of leaving my comfort zone...of not knowing what I'm doing or where I'm going. I'm sad about selling my house and leaving my friends and family....more than I thought I would be or should be...you know, given the tremendous peace that I have.
Faith exercised is faith grown. Is there even such a thing as still faith? If you look at Hebrews 4...a chapter I LOVE...you see many accounts of great faith warriors. God called and they responded with action! Yet scripture tells us that none of them received the things promised; only saw them and welcomed them from a distance. How did they do that?
FAITH.
It's such a strange and wonderful thing.
Abraham was "looking forward to the city with foundations, whose architect and builder is God." Scripture encourages us, as we look back at the faith of our forefathers, to "throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles" and "run with perseverance the race marked out for us."
Oh, how hard I'm trying to do that! But I wrestle my stinky flesh so very often. Though I fail miserably so many times, He calls anyway. I take two steps forward and one step back it seems. I want the faith of Abraham.
How is your faith being tested today? Are you feeling alone? Is God calling you to move out of your comfort zone, too? How are you running your race today? I encourage you, friends, to remember with me that all of the temporary things of this world ARE going to fall away. Let's set our sights on that city with foundations and gain strength from its' architect and builder!
Lord, Jesus, you are the author and perfector of my faith. As I fix my eyes on You daily, help me to not grow weary or lose heart during this immense time of transitions for my family. For no matter what lies ahead, our home is not in this place. Increase my faith, Lord, the faith of my family and my friends, too. Help us to run this race in a way that shouts Your name and Your worth to all those along the sidelines of this path You have us on. May You alone receive all the glory and honor each step of the way!
2 comments:
Jeanne, I know you read Jesus Calling. Go back & read April 15.
Praying for the Schroder Journey.
Jeanne
Thank-you so much for being so vulnerable and honest with your post.We all all thank-ful for God's patience with us and I know we have all done as you have and tried to bargin with him. I often invision him up there shaking his head in amazement at my stubborness. You are an incredible woman of faith and God is going to bless you in a big way with all of this
Post a Comment