I happened across Jennifer's site earlier today and think this is a great idea! I have a plethera of books that we've collected from various book fairs, sales, browsing at bookstores, etc. Many have been shelved for future reading, but I have now been sufficiently inspired to actually get them read with my boys......imagine....setting a goal to read with the kids....what a great concept! Why didn't I think of that?? Well, I guess because I'm not as goal-oriented as I would like to be.
So here are my goals:
1. We currently read aloud to the kids very sporadically. I want to read out loud to them at least 30 minutes a day for 5 days each week, at a minimum.
2. We will read some of our favorites, but mostly go on new adventures.
3. The boys are ages 5 and 8....one reads well by himself and the other doesn't read at all yet...but they both love for me to read to them together. And they both pretty much love anything we read. So we will mostly read our list of books together. Although, I will try to spend a little extra alone time with Luke and work on identifying some first "sight" words and phonetics. And to challenge Matthew more, we will begin reading poetry and selected topics from our Scholastic Children's Encyclopedia (he LOVES learning about animals and science stuff).
4. Also sporadic have been our efforts regarding bible study and family devotions. My goal will be to read one page from our Little Visits Family Devotions book each night before bedtime.
Here is a list of books we will start with:
1. Owl Moon
2. Tooth Trouble
3. If You Were My Bunny
4. Groundhog Gets A Say
5. Flossie & The Fox
6. Lessons that Count: Math Fables
7. Baby Angels
8. Secretly Do Good Deeds
9. Mr. Katapat's Incredible Adventures
10. Selections from The Treasure Tree: Helping Kids Understand Their Personality
11. John Philip Duck
12. Gingerbread Baby
13. The Adventures of Toby Digz: Land of Pharoahs
14. The Adventures of Toby Digz: The Mighty Armor
15. Selections from Falling Up: Poetry by Shel Silverstein
16. Selections from Magnify: A BibleZine for Kids
With our schedules being what they are, I think those goals are quite enough for a starting place. Hopefully, we will all surprise ourselves and, perhaps, expound on this initial list. Check out Snapshot through the button to the right and learn more about the 2007 Read To Me mission. But even if you aren't a blogger, set some goals and read to your kids...or grandkids!
3 comments:
Thanks for sharing your list. I am going to check out some of those titles as well!
Those sound like some great specific goals. I'm so glad you joined in.
Floooooooo-ooosie!! I love that book. Great choices all around!
Post a Comment